Do you think only pregnant women have mood swings?
You want to see someone who can showcase more emotional changes than a oscar winning actor?
You think only your friend is a drama queen or king who acts to get hus or her thing done as his or her wish?
If the answer is yes for the above questions then it means that you have not been a dad yet or you don’t have kids at your home for whose actions you are primarily responsible.
Infants and emotions are like the waves in CRT monitor in the hospitals. They are never constant and they should not be (if they are , you should seriously meet a doctor). They always change based on their need. For example, my son wakes up a day with a beaming smile and on the contrast he might wake up crying loudly the very next day. But there are few emotions which are static like the excitement when we take him to his favourite place, but them their favourite toy or simply gifting them for their good attitude. Infact their life is quite tough as they don’t know to express what is there in their mind as adults and so they chose an emotion to fulfill their needs.
So how do we deal with the emotional ups and downs the infants showcase? Frankly telling you its always not easy to convince them but i have few tips:
1. Do not encourage kids to throw tantrum: Kids have the habit of throwing tantrums to get their needs fulfilled but encouraging that shall make them believe that its a solution to get things from us. So do not encourage them throwing tantrums.
2. Encourage them to be happy : When kids are in happy mood, they will be too much excited and do things which might irritate the parents but it should not be restricted as stopping them shall discourage them from being happy and make them fear of being happiness.
3. Be a friend when they are upset : Be a friend to your infant and gain their trust so that they open up to you about their problems. Its easy for the infants to express their happiness but its not easy to express when they are upset. Find ways to make them happy and come to normalcy.
4. Know the reason of their tears. If they cry for a reason try to solve it but its frivolous then try to divert them to something which can excite them.
5. Be an ideal parent: Infants learn to showcase their emotion from the parent. So we share the responsibility to teach them the right way to express their feelings and how to control certain emotions at places.
In the emotional roller coaster of the infants we might lose cool at times but its more important to remember that kids are the purest souls after all and they don’t know to fake their feelings. Its us the parents who have to learn the tactics to handle the little ones for the benefit of both.